Saturday, August 9, 2014

The Start of Something Great

Well it is finished...the first week of school that is.  I have to say it seems to have come and gone quite peacefully.  As I reflect on this past week and compare it to last year...I believe it has been very calm and stress free.  It most likely has something to do with having some type of expectation of what happens since I am now into my 2nd year of teaching.



The first two days I thoroughly went over policies and procedures.  Since, I am teaching 6th grade & many of my students have been going to our school for multiple years, it seemed like they were riding a bicycle.  They weren't crazy & loud, but ready and willing to get the year started.  I also think it has to do with the way the administration did the schedule planning.  Instead of the students switching every hour for the classes between my 6th grade teaching partner, the students stay with us for 2 hour blocks.  I have my homeroom for the first 2 hours to teach them Math & Science, then I have the other half of the 6th graders and they are with me the other 2 hours before they go off to lunch.  From lunch the students go to their Specials elective and then the last 1 1/2 hours it is Math/OCR Interventions.  It seems to have been planned much better & I get the opportunity to have the students a longer period of time so the teaching doesn't feel rushed as well.



Since Wednesday I have been reviewing 5th Grade Math with my kiddos.  According to their state testing results (we use AIMS), their Math results have something yet to be desired.  So, before they are presented with their first benchmark (Galileo) test on Tuesday, I wanted my students to get a refresher.  Also, by going over 5th grade Math questions, they get a feel for what type of questions will be on the benchmark test because I am using a posted benchmark test I found online as their review.  So far 95% of the kids are receptive and willing to do the practice.  Hopefully this will have a positive impact on their baseline test results, and we will only go up from here.

I will keep you posted how the kiddos, as well as I do this school year.  I am sure it will be filled with wonderful memories...



No comments :

Post a Comment